CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 15, 2008

flames from wood and matches

I was pretty excited to have our community duty..
During our rotation in Buyacaoan, I have learned the following:

Always be yourself and never let anyone put you down. Never be a “puppet” of another person to the extent that, that person is already degrading you. When it comes to human rights, we are all equal. Always stand for yourself and fight for what you know is right. You are an individual, which means you live and die alone. Sometimes you don’t need other people in order for you to grow. More often than not, what’s inside is more important.

I have proven to myself that there are really some people who pretend to be busy when in fact they’re not. And what hurts the most is that they are too insensitive to care. They even disregard considering your feelings before they speak. It’s okay to say mean things if you are in the right position and if what you are going to say is intended to improve the other, that means if you really have a say on the topic. But if you don’t, just zip it.

I have learned the value of humility. I have always been a city girl my entire life. I have always slept in soft mattresses, have always taken hot showers and bubble baths, I have always eaten my food warm, flies have always been my mortal enemies, I have always worn my clothes neatly pressed and I have never gone out of the house without taking a bath. But during our duty, I have learned to be one with the people outside the city. At home, I don’t pick rubbish from rivers or canals, but in the community, I have learned to do that. I have learned to live the simple life. I have learned how to build flames out of wood and matches.

This experience really made me realize how fortunate I am and that I should be grateful to my family for giving me such a blast...

0 comments: